Washington University provides assistance for veterans, active duty, Reserve, and Guard servicemembers, dependents and survivors seeking educational benefits through the Veterans Administration (VA). Acceptance into a degree or certification program and registration for courses is handled individually by school.

Apply for benefits online:

  • Department of Veterans Affairs Website
  • Applicants will need to provide a copy of their “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Department of Veterans Affairs to their VA Certifying Official listed below when arranging tuition payments.

VA Education Programs

Additional information on the VA education and training benefits through the GI Bill® is available on the VA Education and Training website. The GI Bill Comparison Tool can assist you in learning about the benefit programs and comparing benefits by school. Applicants can apply for educational benefits online.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Washington University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program, which funds the difference between what the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) covers for tuition and fees and the actual tuition and fees to attend the university. 

Each of our participating schools voluntarily enters into its own Yellow Ribbon Agreement with the VA and chooses the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA matches that amount and issues payments directly to the institution.

Eligibility information is available at the VA’s Yellow Ribbon Program website.

For academic year 2017-2018, Washington University’s Yellow Ribbon participation:

Degree Level Division or School Number of Students Max School Contribution Amt (Per Student/Per Year)
Undergraduate All Unlimited Unlimited
Graduate Business 150 Unlimited
Graduate Engineering Unlimited Unlimited
Graduate Law School Unlimited Unlimited
Graduate School of Architecture 4 Unlimited
Graduate School of Art 4 Unlimited
Graduate School of Arts & Sciences Unlimited Unlimited
Professional Programs School of Medicine 4 $2,500.00
MD School of Medicine 4 $17,500.00
Graduate Social Work/Public Health 10 Unlimited
Graduate University College Unlimited Unlimited

Participation is administered on a first-come, first-serve basis. Contact the Certifying Official listed below to use this benefit.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, otherwise known as Voc Rehab, is another option to fund the cost of your education at Washington University. Voc Rehab focuses on employability and helps with job training, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist Veterans in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment.

Education and Career Counseling is an opportunity for servicemembers, veterans and dependents to get personalized counseling and support to help guide their career paths, ensure most effective use of their VA benefits, and achieve their goals. It is available for the following groups:

  • Transitioning Servicemembers within six months prior to discharge from active duty
  • Veterans within one year following discharge from active duty
  • Any Servicemember/Veteran currently eligible for a VA education benefit
  • All current VA education beneficiaries

Applicants can apply for Voc Rehab and Education and Career Counseling online.

Certification of VA Benefits

Learn more about veteran certification on the Office of the University Registrar website.

Danforth Campus Certifying Official

(Undergraduate programs and all graduate programs except Medicine)
Eileen Radomski
Office of the University Registrar

Medical Campus Certifying Officials

Stephanie Brelsford
(School of Medicine programs except residencies and fellowships)
School of Medicine Office of the Registrar

Tia Drake
(School of Medicine residencies and fellowships only)
School of Medicine Graduate Medical Education