The Veteran Ally Program facilitates a network of faculty, staff and administrators committed to creating a welcoming and supportive campus environment for military service members, veterans and family members who study at Washington University.
The Veteran Ally training presentation will introduce participants to the following:
- Military culture and terminology
- Characteristics of service members and veterans, including diversity of backgrounds and experiences
- Challenges veterans experience in general and specifically as student veterans
- Campus and community resources available to student veterans
- Ways to make your services, programs and interactions more veteran-friendly
Veteran Ally is offered several times throughout the year, with a target audience of faculty, staff, administrators and students working with military-connected students or interested in learning how to best support these students campus.
After training is complete, participants become part of a campus-wide network that supports military-connected students. They will receive a placard to hang outside their office door identifying them as a Veteran Ally, a friendly face that students can seek if they run into challenges or simply need a listening ear.