The Veteran Ally Program facilitates a network of faculty, staff and administrators committed to creating a welcoming and supportive campus environment for military service members, veterans and family members who study at Washington University.
The Veteran Ally training presentation will introduce participants to the following:
- Military culture and terminology
- Characteristics of service members and veterans, including diversity of backgrounds and experiences
- Challenges veterans experience in general and specifically as student veterans
- Campus and community resources available to student veterans
- Ways to make your services, programs and interactions more veteran-friendly
The Veteran Ally Training Series opens annually in the fall semester to develop a cohort. The series is composed of six sessions that will equip emerging Veteran Allies with the knowledge to support the veteran, service members and the military-affiliated population through a cultural humility lens.
After training is complete, participants become part of a campus-wide network that supports military-connected students. They will receive a placard to hang outside their office door identifying them as a Veteran Ally, a friendly face that students can seek if they run into challenges or simply need a listening ear.