The Veteran Ally Program facilitates a network of faculty, staff and administrators committed to creating a welcoming and supportive campus environment for military servicemembers and veterans who study at Washington University.
The Veteran Ally training presentation will introduce participants to the following:
- Military culture and terminology
- Characteristics of servicemembers and veterans, including diversity of backgrounds and experiences
- Challenges veterans experience in general and specifically as student veterans
- Campus and community resources available to student veterans
- Ways to make your services, programs and interactions more veteran-friendly
The presentation will be hosted several times throughout the year, with a target audience of faculty, staff, administrators and students working with student veterans or interested in learning how to better support student veterans on campus.
After training is complete, participants become part of a campus-wide network that supports student veterans. They will receive a placard to hang outside their office door identifying them as a Veteran Ally, a friendly face that student veterans can seek if they run into challenges or simply need a listening ear.
Veteran Ally presentations are offered on Monday afternoons from 3:30-5 pm. Please contact us if interested in participating or hosting a training session.