We are excited you are considering using your tuition assistance (TA) benefit at Washington University. Your best point of contact for information about financial resources is the financial aid advisor for the program in which you are interested.

The Department of Defense (DOD) offers TA to active duty military servicemembers. Each branch has specific TA limits and application procedures. Prior to enrolling in the university, you must speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your respective service (typically located at your installation’s education center) and receive approval to use TA. Access the links below to learn more about your service’s specific TA program.

Washington University has signed the DOD Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU), which is an agreement between the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness and educational institutions. DOD policy requires educational institutions that wish to participate in the DOD TA Program to sign an MOU conveying the commitments and agreements between the educational institution and DOD prior to an educational institution receiving funds from a service’s TA program. The memorandum and a list of educational institutions that have signed can be found at Dodmou.com.

Military TA Top-Up Program

Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use TA to complete a degree program while on active duty and don’t plan to continue your education after service. Top-Up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill benefits for after service to complete your education program.

Visit https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/tuition-assistance-top-up/ for additional information on Top-Up, visit the GI Bill Comparison Tool to assist you in determining the amount of benefit you may receive through the VA, and contact your VA School Certifying Official on how this may work for you.

Information to Assist in Your College Decision

The GI Bill Comparison Tool can assist you in learning about the VA benefit programs and comparing benefits by school.

The College Scorecard is a consumer planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school. This tool is most useful for potential full-time undergraduate students.

The College Navigator is a consumer tool that provides school information about tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates, and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool. This tool is most useful for potential full-time students, but has limited information for graduate students.

The Paying for College webpage contains a tool that can be used by prospective students to compare detailed financial information for up to three schools at a time. This site also includes general information about financial aid and financial literacy.

The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a model financial aid award letter designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about college costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where they attend school. For a personalized Financial Aid Shopping Sheet, please contact the financial aid representative for the program in which you’re interested.

The designated point of contact for servicemembers is the Office of Military and Veteran Services. If you are receiving TA benefits and are seeking access to disability counseling, please contact Cornerstone.

Tuition Assistance Policy

It is the policy of Washington University to return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60 percent portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. In instances when a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the university will work with the service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

DOD Post-Secondary Education Complaint System

A new DoD Postsecondary Education Complaint System (PECS) landing page has been implemented and provides pertinent information concerning the PECS complaint process, as well as access to the PECS intake form. If you or your family member receives tuition assistance or is a Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Scholarship recipient, you are encouraged to submit feedback.

You may submit a complaint if your school is failing to follow the Principles of Excellence. This initiative is designed to empower you and your family members to report misleading or unfair actions by education institutions. Examples of education related issues may include, but are not limited to, misrepresentation or deceptive actions concerning multiple unsolicited phone calls or emails used as a high-pressure recruitment tactic, false representation about degree programs, misleading statements regarding accreditation or promoting costly private or institutional loans. 

TA Points of Contact

Overall POC:
Military and Veteran Services
Initial point of contact and referral source for academic advising, admissions and recruitment, financial aid, and career services
(314) 935-2609

Disability Resources:
Cornerstone: The Learning Center
(314) 935-5970

Student Accounting
(314) 935-5274